My mouth waters each time I take into consideration Yuca En Escabeche, a conventional Puerto Rican pickled cassava dish that’s as scrumptious and vibrant as it’s versatile. It’s a bit like a punchy vinegar-based potato salad however with olives, onions, and yuca. It holds exceptionally nicely and makes an ideal appetizer or aspect for a yard BBQ or seashore picnic.
Yuca is a root vegetable like potato or taro. It’s formed like a big yam with a darkish brown bark-like exterior and vibrant white flesh. It has a woody core that appears like a white root working by way of the center of it lengthwise. You will discover yuca contemporary, frozen, and canned in most Latin grocery shops. It’s additionally usually stocked within the freezer part at mainstream grocers.
What Is Escabeche?
Escabeche is a preserving method that’s very talked-about throughout Latin America. You heat a easy mixture of oil and vinegar with a couple of aromatics and use it to pickle cooked greens, fruits (like inexperienced bananas), or fish. Due to the excessive acidity of the sauce, the pickled meals stays contemporary for every week, creating deeper flavors because it ages. Yuca En Escabeche is boiled cassava root smothered in escabeche sauce and served sizzling, chilly, or at room temperature.
Prepare to your new summer time favourite! It’s cooling on a sizzling day, comes collectively in only a few minutes, and you may simply double, triple, or quadruple the recipe. It’s a type of dishes I’ll make a giant batch of and eat nonstop, paired with completely every thing till it’s all gone. Right here’s what you want to make Yuca En Escabeche:
- Yuca– You should buy yuca contemporary or frozen. Recent requires loads of prep as you should peel off its woody bark and quarter it to take away the woody core. Frozen is my choice, because it’s already peeled and chopped. Nevertheless, you need to thaw it and ensure the woody core is eliminated, as typically it isn’t. Canned yuca is already prepped and cooked. You may merely drain it and add it to the escabeche sauce.
- Olive Oil and Distilled White Vinegar– are the bottom of the escabeche sauce. Use an olive oil that has a taste you take pleasure in. Although distilled vinegar is conventional, be at liberty to make use of apple cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar. This recipe is a 2 to 1 ratio of oil to vinegar. If you need one thing much less acidic, use a 3 to 1 ratio. I favor an aggressively acidic escabeche and use a 1 to 1 ratio of oil to vinegar. You do you!
- Bay Leaves, Peppercorns, Salt, and Adobo – these spices add much-needed complexity to the easy escabeche sauce. Should you don’t have adobo, omit it and up your salt sport by a 1/4 teaspoon. Additionally add 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of floor cumin. Bay leaves are a should for me, however strive subbing them with a pinch or two of dry oregano if you happen to’re out.
- Onions and Garlic– are an integral a part of the escabeche. They add deep earthy flavors and texture to the dish. You may substitute yellow onion with white or purple onion. Generally garlic will flip a blue-green coloration when uncovered to a extremely acidic sauce. Don’t fret. It isn’t mildew. If blueish-hued garlic slices make you uncomfortable, take away them.
- Spanish Olives and Olive Brine – these roasted purple pepper-stuffed olives (AKA Manzanilla or inexperienced olives) add a pop of tart and fruity notes to the dish, whereas their brine rounds out the acidity of the escabeche and creates complexity.
Variations on Yuca en Escabeche
Make this dish your individual with further veggies, spices, and proteins.
- Strips of roasted purple pepper make an attractive and attractive addition. So do skinny slices of contemporary inexperienced and purple bell peppers.
- Combine totally different sorts of vinegar so as to add complexity. Simply makes certain to make use of white or light-colored vinegar to protect the colour of the yuca.
- Make a heartier model by topping the yuca with slices of hard-boiled egg, cooked shrimp, or chopped rooster.
- Add totally different greens, comparable to chopped zucchini, squash, or tomatoes. Although not conventional selections, they’re scrumptious.
- Strive utilizing totally different spices, comparable to cumin, oregano, or cilantro.
What Do I Serve With Yuca En Escabeche?
How To Retailer Leftovers
Retailer the yuca in an hermetic container with plastic movie over the floor. If in any respect attainable, use a glass container, because the vinegar and garlic odors will cling to plastic. Refrigerate for as much as every week. Freeze for as much as 3 months. When able to serve, thaw frozen yuca in a single day within the fridge. Yuca will be served chilly or at room temperature. Should you favor to serve it sizzling, heat it in a microwave till steaming.
Yuca En Escabeche
Yuca En Escabeche is a conventional Puerto Rican dish of pickled cassava, olives, and onions. It is scrumptious, vibrant, straightforward, and versatile!
- 1 lb yuca (contemporary or frozen) ($1.55)
- 4 tsp kosher salt, divided ($0.16)
- 2/3 cup olive oil ($0.84)
- 1/3 cup distilled white vinegar ($0.41)
- 3 bay leaves ($0.30)
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns ($0.05)
- 1 tsp adobo seasoning ($0.04)
- 1 yellow onion, sliced in half moons ($0.42)
- 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced ($0.34)
- 1/4 cup sliced Spanish olives (AKA Manzanilla olives ) ($0.33)
- 1/8 cup olive brine ($0.09)
If the yuca is contemporary, peel and cut up it into 4-inch lengthy quarters. Take away the woody middle root. If the yuca is frozen, cut up it into 4-inch halves. Make sure that the woody middle has been eliminated after which minimize every half in half.
Add yuca to a Dutch oven or different massive heavy-bottomed pot. Add water till you cowl the yuca by two inches. Add 2 teaspoons of salt. Boil till the yuca is fork-tender however not mushy, about 25 to half-hour. Then drain the yuca and funky.
Whereas the yuca cooks, set a small pot over medium-low warmth. Add the olive oil and heat. Add the vinegar, peppercorns, bay leaf, remaining 2 teaspoons salt, adobo, onions, garlic, olives, and olive brine to the nice and cozy oil. Prepare dinner for 10 minutes, stirring often, then take away from the warmth.
Add the yuca to a big bowl. Cowl the drained yuca with escabeche. Let it sit at room temperature for at the very least half-hour to develop the flavors, then serve.
See how we calculate recipe prices right here.
Energy: 270kcalCarbohydrates: 24gProtein: 1gFats: 19gSodium: 1346mgFiber: 2g
Learn our full diet disclaimer right here.
Make Yuca En Escabeche – Step by Step Pictures
Put together 1 pound of yuca. If the yuca is contemporary, peel and cut up it into 4-inch lengthy quarters. Take away the woody middle root. If the yuca is frozen, cut up it into 4-inch halves. Make sure that the woody middle has been eliminated after which minimize every half in half.
Add the yuca to a Dutch oven or different massive heavy-bottomed pot. Add water till you cowl the yuca by two inches. Add 2 teaspoons of salt. Boil till the yuca is fork-tender however not mushy, about 25 to half-hour. Then drain the yuca and funky.
Whereas the yuca cooks set a small stainless-steel or enameled pot over medium-low warmth. Keep away from aluminum pots as extremely acidic elements, like vinegar, may cause aluminum to leach into meals, which leaves the meals with a metallic style. Add 2/3 cup of olive oil and heat. You don’t need the oil sizzling, simply heat. Add the 1/3 cup of vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns, 3 bay leaves, remaining 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon adobo, 1 medium onion sliced in half moons, 8 thinly sliced garlic cloves, 1/4 cup Spanish olives, and 1/8 cup of olive brine to the nice and cozy oil. Prepare dinner for 10 minutes, stirring often. The onions ought to stay white however will wilt. As soon as wilted, take away from the warmth.
Add the boiled yuca to a big boil and canopy with the nice and cozy escabeche sauce. Enable the yuca to pickle for at least half-hour earlier than serving. To develop deeper flavors, cowl the bowl with plastic wrap immediately on the floor of the yuca and refrigerate in a single day. Serve chilly, at room temperature, or warmth in a microwave till steaming. Get pleasure from this unbelievable dish as is or serve it with Roasted Hen, Chuletas Guisadas, or Puerto Rican Rice and Beans!