This velvety Creamy Rooster and Gnocchi recipe is one in all my favourite one-pot meals as a result of it’s straightforward, you may make it in beneath thirty minutes, it’s filling, and it’s big-time scrumptious. Like I’m-not-going-to-stop-eating-this-until-it’s-all-done scrumptious. Pillowy gnocchi drenched in a wealthy buttery cream sauce, with pops of juicy hen and earthy spinach? Ummm, yeah. You’re going to like this one!
What Is Gnocchi?
Gnocchi are small two-inch dumplings made with mashed potatoes, flour, and eggs. They’re served sauteed with butter, tomato, or cream-based sauce. On this dish, we pair gnocchi with diced hen thighs in a buttery cream sauce. It’s mainly an elevated meat and potatoes dish, with spinach thrown in as a result of Beth says we have to cook dinner extra veggies.
What You’ll Want
You received’t want a great deal of time or pots and pans, that’s for certain. Every little thing on this dreamy, silky dish comes collectively in a single skillet in beneath thirty minutes! Right here’s what you’ll must make Creamy Rooster And Gnocchi:
- Gnocchi – you will discover them frozen or recent, however I choose the dried ones as they’re extra economical, plus I’ve extra room in my pantry than I do in my freezer. You’ll discover them within the pasta part of your grocery retailer.
- Rooster Thighs– It’s also possible to use hen breast, however watch out to not overcook it, as you need juicy hen, not dry, chicken-flavored cotton balls. In a pinch, sub the thighs with Italian sausage and skip the seasoning.
- Heavy cream and Butter– it is a cream sauce, so it’s dairy-heavy. You want the fats present in these substances to create the velvety sauce that brings all the things collectively. You may substitute the heavy cream with full-fat coconut cream and the butter with vegan butter
- Parmesan– does double obligation, including savory saltiness to the sauce whereas additionally thickening it. Asioago or feta make nice substitutions. In the event you can’t do dairy, use a few tablespoons of dietary yeast, however take into account that your sauce might be a lot looser.
- Vegetable broth– is used to hydrate the dried gnocchi and helps create the bottom of our cream sauce. Substitute it with hen broth or in a pinch, with a cup of water with a tablespoon of tomato sauce blended in.
- Onion and Garlic– these aromatics are fried within the hen thigh fats and assist taste the gnocchi. You may substitute the onion with one tablespoon of onion powder and the garlic with 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Spinach- brings earthiness and a wonderful coloration to the dish. You may substitute spinach with kale, although it should take a bit longer to melt.
- Italian seasoning – creates a simple taste base. In the event you don’t have Italian seasoning, substitute it with one teaspoon of dried oregano, one teaspoon of dried thyme, and one teaspoon of dried rosemary.
- Smoked paprika – utilizing this spice is elective, however I exploit it so as to add a dank, smoky be aware that helps spherical out the sharpness of the Italian seasoning. It additionally lends a golden hue to the sauce.
What To Serve With Creamy Rooster and Gnocchi
This dish is heavy, so pair it with a Easy Aspect Salad or Panzanella. It’s also possible to lean into the heaviness and make Garlic Bread to sop up all of the creamy sauce. (It’s AMAZING with garlic bread. And garlic counts as a vegetable!)
Storing and Reheating
Since you make this dish with a cream-based sauce, I don’t advocate freezing it, because the cream will get grainy when it thaws. Maintain leftovers in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days. Reheat in a microwave till steaming.
Creamy Rooster and Gnocchi
This scrumptious dish is stuffed with pillowy gnocchi drenched in a wealthy buttery cream sauce, with pops of juicy hen and earthy spinach. Plus it is really easy, you may make it in beneath thirty minutes!
- 1.25 lbs hen thighs (4 to five thighs) ($4.23)
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning ($0.30)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika ($0.05)
- 1/2 tsp salt ($0.04)
- 1/4 tsp pepper ($0.02)
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil ($0.08)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced ($0.32)
- 2 garlic cloves ($0.11)
- 1 lb potato gnocchi (dry) ($1.13)
- 2 cups recent spinach ($0.60)
- 1 cup vegetable broth ($0.08)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream ($0.71)
- 2 Tbsp salted butter ($0.30)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan ($0.44)
Cube the hen thighs into 2-inch items. Add the hen to a bowl and prime it with Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Combine till mixed.
Place a big, deep skillet over medium warmth and add the cooking oil. As soon as it is shimmering, add the hen and cook dinner undisturbed till properly browned, about 3 minutes. Stir and brown on the opposite facet, about 3 extra minutes. Take away the hen from the pan when it is cooked by way of and depart the fats within the pan.
Add the onion and garlic to the skillet. Saute till the onions have softened and the garlic is aromatic, about 2 minutes
Add the gnocchi and butter to the skillet and brown for two minutes.
Add the spinach and the broth to the skillet. Cowl the pan. Prepare dinner for 1 to 2 minutes till the spinach has wilted and the gnocchi has hydrated.
Add the heavy cream and salted butter to the skillet. Stir till the butter has melted and the cream is steaming scorching however not boiling.
Take the skillet off the warmth. Add the parmesan to the pan and stir till it melts, making a velvety sauce.
Lastly, return the cooked diced hen to the skillet. Combine gently into the gnocchi and cream sauce. If desired, garnish with parsley.
See how we calculate recipe prices right here.
Serving: 1.25cupsEnergy: 756kcalCarbohydrates: 47gProtein: 32gFats: 50gSodium: 1186mgFiber: 4g
Learn our full vitamin disclaimer right here.
Find out how to Make Creamy Rooster And Gnocchi – Step by Step Photographs
Cube 1.25 kilos of hen thighs (about 4 to five thighs) in 2-inch items. Add the hen to a bowl and prime it with 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Combine till mixed.
Set a big deep skillet over medium warmth and add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the hen and cook dinner undisturbed till properly browned, about 3 minutes. Stir and brown on the opposite facet, about 3 minutes extra. Take away the hen from the pan when it’s cooked by way of and has reached an inner temperature of 160°F. Depart the rendered fats within the pan.
Add 1 diced onion and a couple of cloves of minced garlic to the skillet. Saute till the onions have softened and the garlic is aromatic, about 2 minutes.
Add 1 pound of dry potato gnocchi and a couple of tablespoons of salted butter to the skillet. Brown the gnocchi for two minutes.
Add 2 cups of spinach and 1 cup of vegetable broth to the skillet. Cowl the pan. Prepare dinner for 1 to 2 minutes till the spinach has wilted and the gnocchi has hydrated.
Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream and a couple of tablespoons of salted butter to the skillet. Stir till the butter has melted and the cream is steaming scorching, however not boiling. You’re about so as to add cheese to the sauce, and cheese curdles at excessive temperatures, so be certain that it isn’t boiling.
Take the pan off the warmth. Add 1/4 cup of parmesan to the pan and stir till it melts, making a velvety sauce.
Lastly, return the cooked diced hen to the skillet. Combine gently into the gnocchi and cream sauce. If desired, garnish with parsley. Serve this dish piping scorching, then sit again and luxuriate in what took you lower than a half hour to make!